Our easiest child Christmas crafts are luninaries. Traditionally, luminaries are simply paper bags filled with sand and a small tea light. Placed along a walkway, they light the way to your doorstep and greet your guests with a special glow.
We've taken a different slant on this classic by using construction paper. Check out our simple instructions.
Red and green construction paper
Ruler and pencil
1. Place a piece of construction paper lengthwise on the table.
2. Using a ruler, draw a line 1.5" (3-4 cm) wide across the top and bottom of the paper (lengthwise).
3. Mark lines at 90 degree angles between the top and bottom markings at intervals of 1.5 inches (3-4 cm) and cut along these lines.
4. Fold the paper in half lengthwise to mark the center of the lantern.
5. Unfold the paper, and staple the ends together to form a cylinder.
6. Staple a strip of paper at the top of your lantern to make a handle.
7. Place a tea candle carefully inside the lantern.
That's it! You can make these simple paper lanterns in different colors and sizes for a nice effect. They make a great centerpiece for any holiday table.
You might also be interested in these free Christmas crafts for kids.